(i) What is Bangalnama?
Bangalnama is a cross between a webzine and a blog. The idea behind Bangalnama is to look at certain aspects of the history and social anthropology of post-colonial and post-partition Bengal in a popular, non-academic setting, and to develop a digital archive of the same. At the center of our focus are the geopolitical regions of undivided Bengal and erstwhile East Pakistan. Among other things, we are interested in archiving experiences of cross-border migration, and exploring human identities that got intertwined, morphed and rebuilt during the turbulent decade of the ’40s, culminating in partition of Bengal and its everlasting aftermath. We tend not to view the Bengal partition as a singularity in history that can be easily encapsulated in a single grand narrative or a homogeneous discourse, and feel that the study of socioeconomic bases of partition, the ensuing mass migration, displacement, refugeehood and the associated trauma are far from a closed or settled chapter in history. Having taken off in the August of 2008, the project is relatively young and evolving, having received extremely positive feedback from various corners. Project Bangalnama is strictly a NON-COMMERCIAL one. We are not earning revenue, thank you very much!
(ii) Why the name ‘Bangalnama’?
The name was inspired from Tapan Raychaudhury’s memoir as stated here. It is this and that much, and beyond that this weblog bears no connection to the memoir or it’s copyright holders. Let us just put it this way–The name of the weblog Bangalnama is inspired from Tapan Raychaudhury’s memoir and is nothing more of a humble tribute to the spirit of East Bengal. We do not know the writer, the publisher nor do we make any representation as to accuracy, suitability, completeness or validity of the contents of the book.
(iii) So what does Bangalnama contain?
Bangalnama is a bilingual website, publishing invited and contributed articles, written in Bengali and English. Bangalnama contains short, long, medium write-ups, photos, videos, music and blah! There is no exact accurate description as to what it contains. Check out the various sections. There are as of now, twenty sections and still counting, as they say! We have sought to acknowledge copyright (especially of photos though not solely limited to it) of owners wherever possible and applicable. If you notice anything amiss, do let us know @ bangalnama AT gmail.com.
For more information on Fair Use visit this
(iv) We have gone through Bangalnama and we are absolutely smitten. How do we submit articles/write ups?
We are delighted! Submissions may be made to the editorial team @ bangalnamaATgmail.com. However, the decision to publish such article/write up rests solely with the Editorial Team. We have uploaded the Submission Guidelines here.
Few Things You Need To Know:
1. Bangalnama is a weblog. The information provided here come with no warranty, nor do they confer any right. This opinions expressed in this weblog are those of the author/s and not those of their employer/s.
2. All data, information and opinion provided on this weblog are for informational purposes only. We make no representation as to accuracy, completeness,suitability or validity of any information on this blog and will not be liable for any error, omission or any loss, injury, damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. All opinions projected are those of the respective authors.
3. Feel free to disagree with us, the opinions of the authors or the information provided here. But we reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason we deem fit (abusive, profane, anonymous etc). Please keep it polite.
4. While every caution has been taken to provide readers with accurate information and honest analysis, please use your discretion and good sense before taking any decision based on the information of this blog. Authors will not compensate you for any loss whatsoever, arising out of it.
5. We may keep updating old posts on a regular/irregular basis and not bound to explicitly state updates and corrections made.
6. We do not seek to earn revenue from this blog. This weblog is being used strictly NON-COMMERCIALLY.
7. We have tried our level best to acknowledge copyright wherever applicable. Please do the same if you use materials from this blog elsewhere. Stealing is a crime.
8. Happy reading. And we encourage feedback. Do mail us at bangalnamaATgmail.com with your comments/queries.