Please refer to the following submission guidelines before sending an article to Bangalnama. All submissions may be made to our editorial team via e-mail to “bangalnama AT gmail DOT com”.
1. The idea behind Bangalnama is to look at certain aspects of the history and social anthropology of post-colonial and post-partition Bengal in a non-academic setting. At the center of our focus are the geopolitical regions of undivided Bengal and erstwhile East Pakistan. Among other things, we are interested in archiving experiences of cross-border migration, and exploring myriad dimensions of human identities that got intertwined, morphed and rebuilt during the turbulent decade of the ’40s, culminating in partition of Bengal and its everlasting aftermath.
2. Contributions in certain broad areas associated with the underlying motif (as mentioned in 1.) have been grouped under “categories” or “pages”. These include: literature, music, politics, cuisine, sports, culture, cinema, theater, fine arts, crafts, personal memoirs, book and cinema reviews, linguistics, languages and dialects, history, partition, cross-border migration and refugee issues, mass uprisings and struggles of the 1940s, biographies, autobiographies, pop culture and subculture, et cetera. This is by no means an exhaustive list and original ideas (within the scope of this project) are most welcome.
3. Plagiarisation or stealing is not acceptable. In case you have used material from another source, please acknowledge the same. We are respectful of copyright and would not accept any submission that violates copyright.
4. It goes without saying that articles with unsubstantiated abusive or hurtful content or propaganda material solely directed at attacking the sensitivities of any individual or groups do not constitute publishable material at Bangalnama.
5. We encourage off-the-beaten-track topics, and there is no restriction to format or word limit, though, the editors might encourage authors to split their article into installments if it is exceedingly long for a single read.
6. Bengali is the preferred language, and the authors are encouraged to typeset their own submissions into Bengali using any unicode Bengali font. If you are unaware of Bengali-writing software, please use Murshed’s Unicode layout and converter 2.1.0 Alpha 1, which is an easy-to-use online application to write Bangla text in unicode font.
7. You may also write in English. We publish articles in English from time to time for reaching out to a wider audience.
8. All submissions may be sent to email@example.com as an alterable text file. (MS Word document, Open Office document or similar text files). No pdf submissions please. Additional graphics may be sent as attachments and their positions suitably indicated in the text.
9. The editors will make an effort to get back to the authors within a week of receiving the submission. Any and all editing suggestions will be communicated to the author for his/her consent prior to publishing. A submission, once published, will not be revoked on an author’s insistence, unless there is a compelling case for the same (editors’ discretion). The editorial team reserves the right to modify, withdraw or re-publish any article once published on Bangalnama. The authors’ consent will always be sought for any such changes, and we would also make efforts to notify readers about any major modifications made along the way.
10. Regarding publishing, the editorial team’s decision will be final.
11. The authors are free to re-publish their article elsewhere, but we expect the author to include a reference to “Bangalnama” wherever it is republished, for courtesy’s sake. We follow the same policy while re-publishing articles previously published elsewhere (unless otherwise requested by the author).
12. We believe in fair sharing. All published material at our blog is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
13. Copyright of the individual articles belongs to the authors. To seek permission for using these for a commercial purpose, or even otherwise, please contact the editorial team at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the authors’ contact information.
14. Views expressed in individual articles are those of the respective authors, and theirs alone.
15. Bangalnama is a NON-COMMERCIAL project, run by amateurs and enthusiasts. Bangalnama does not accept funding from any individuals or organizations. We are unable to compensate authors and contributors.
We look forward to receiving your contribution and hearing from you. Keep writing! 🙂